Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Fun Date and A Prayer Request

Well, it seems like so much has happened in the past week! First of all, I did go to a lady doctor that gave me satisfaction on my hair problem. She did a full panel of blood work, all of which came back normal. She said that if our body goes through an extreme change whether it be dieting, stress, or medical problems, it goes into trauma mode and will fall out. It can be something we experienced months before. So the conclusion is that my hair was traumatized from dieting, then when I started to home-school, ( which was a very stressful time for me, and my hair did start to fall out a little over a month after I started), my hair said 'ya know what, we had enough, were outa here!' The doc recommended some supplements, and some special shampoo that costed more than I ever thought shampoo could cost! So now I have to be patient! )~:
On a much more important note, a prayer request for Marissa. About a year ago I noticed a dark area under her thumb nail. When she went to the pediatrician for her three year check-up I mentioned it to the doctor cause I till then noticed it was getting darker. She had never seen anything like it and referred us to a dermatologist. She said it is either a skin pigment that is putting out dark color or Melanoma. She sent us to the surgeon for a second opinion. We were there on Monday, he said he sees no choice but to go with a biopsy especially since it was changing. We are looking for that to be on this coming Tuesday. It will be at a Children's hospital in Augusta that I really like. I don't know an exact time yet. They will make a slice in her nail at the dark spot, remove the dark area and do an immediate pathology test. If it comes back positive they will amputate the thumb at her knuckle at that time since she will already be in surgery. He said that is the only way to get rid of it and we should not need more treatment than that. If it is negative, they will stitch the area, and put her thumb in a splint. Once the stitches are out, they will mend her nail back together. He seems pretty confident that it is not the Melanoma, but cannot say for certain. I guess I am nervous cause I have seen it changing in just the last week. It started as a dark line going up the length of her nail, but is now spreading along the bottom of her nail. (I have a picture at the bottom of this post). Rissa is very scared and full of questions, will it hurt, will I need a shot, can you go with me and so on. I don't want her to be un-prepared for anything, for her that would be worse than knowing what is going on, so I try to be honest without creating more fear.

Making Valentine cards


Last Friday I was really in the mood for a date. Since that was not possible, I improvised. The girls thought this was so much fun to surprise Daddy. I carried the kitchen table out to the deck, (of course it did not fit through the back door, so I had to carry it around the house) and we set it with candles and my good dishes. I told David I had a very busy day, could he please bring some Chinese carry-out home for supper. When he got home, he wondered where the table was. I tried to convince him that our crazy kids had been dancing on top the table and it busted, but he did not believe me. (~: The girls took him out to his date on the deck. It was fun, even though it had gotten colder than I expected. After supper we all watched a movie together.




I sometimes feel my kids are picky eaters, but they all actually really like Chinese food...


...even Treyton!


Foxy was always present waiting for any crumbs to fall.


We all love Daddy!


Jenny thought this was a fun skills project in school. She made it with play-doh


I sometimes worry that Treyton is surrounded by too many girls, he did his hair this way, and left it in better than the girls do! (~:


Rissa's thumb, I could not get a good picture.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I'm so sorry about Marissa's trouble. It brings tears to my eyes. I can so much relate to the dilemma of how to provide honest answers without creating more fears. With our boys' heart issues we've been there. God bless you and give you courage. It's hard to see our little ones in these medical institutions. (Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful they're there. I'd just rather not need them :) )
We will be praying for you. Linda Stoltzfs